“The love of portraiture has been a huge part of my life from a very young age. I found the beauty of the face and the human form fascinating, and members of my family and anyone visiting were excellent subjects. This also encouraged me to attend art school in my teens.
My method for painting a portrait starts with an informal chat with the subject to discuss possible poses and composition. I also take lots of photos for future reference. This is followed up by two or three sittings of up to 2 hours, depending upon a sitter’s availability. My main aim is to present the subject’s personality and spirit. I give a great deal of thought to the setting and use of colour and the interests of the person involved.
I am an exhibiting member of the Queanbeyan Art Society life member, Portrait Artists Australia, and the Portrait Society of America.”
- The Australian Institute of Art, Sydney for three years
- Workshops with artists including Joshua Smith, Yve Close, Paul Newton and US-based artist Robert Liberace.
I have conducted portrait workshops for many years for the Queanbeyan Art Society and the Artists’ Society of Canberra.
- 2011 Joint Exhibition with artist Kay Watts, The Q Gallery, Queanbeyan NSW
- 2009 Solo Exhibition at The Q Gallery, Queanbeyan NSW
- 2005 Macquarie International/Portrait Artists Australia Exhibition, Australian Embassy, WashingtonDC, USA
- 2004 Shirley Hannan National Portrait Award finalist
- Numerous exhibitions since 1990 with the Queanbeyan Art Society, ACT art societies and other local organisations.
I have received many local awards over the years particularly with the Queanbeyan Art Society, and the Queanbeyan Agricultural Society.
- About 20 commissions over the past 12 years, mostly of people living in Queanbeyan Canberra and in WashingtonDC and BaltimoreMaryland USA
- His Excellency Major General (Retired) Jorge Konrote, High Commissioner to Australia for the Republic of the FijiIslands
- 2011 The portrait of squash icon Heather McKay AM MBE, was commissioned by the Queanbeyan City Council for the new ‘Heather McKay Indoor Sports Centre’.
- The Hon Steve Whan, MP for Monaro and the NSW Minister for Emergency Services.
- Sibylla Budd, Australian film, television and stage actress.
- The Reverend Mary Thorn