Janis Lander is an artist, lecturer and author. She is represented in private collections in Australia and overseas, including Germany, France and U.S.A. She has held solo and group shows since 1989. She works in oils, and also in pastels, and she has produced a body of work in printmaking using intaglio etching and other methods.
Portraits in oils or in pastels: Janis makes a series of pastel and charcoal studies on paper during two or three sittings, on which she bases an oil painting later in the studio. The works on paper may be commissioned as completed pastel paintings.
WEBSITE – www.janislander.com
LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS
Janis teaches a sessional lecture series at CCE Sydney University titled “Art and Philosophy of the Spirit”.
In 2012 she completed a doctoral thesis at the College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales, researching art and spiritual systems. A book titled “Spiritual Art And Art Education” was published in 2014 as part of the US Routledge Series Routledge Advances in Art and Visual Studies
Since 1998 Janis has taught Vision/Art Workshops which make use of a strategic combination of meditation and art. For bookings and information see her website.
Other – Janis also works as an editor of academic papers and theses, and art papers. She was contributing editor for The College Voice, an online arts journal for Arc at the University of New South Wales 2003-2012. She was the editor of the PAA publication “The Artists’ Book” (2012) .
- Janis has exhibited in numerous group exhibitions in Australia and internationally since 1989, with oil paintings; works on paper; and intaglio etching. A full list of her exhibition history is on her website.
- Selected as a finalist in the Portia Geach Memorial Award; the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize; The Broken Hill Outback Art Prize; the Plein Air Parliamentary Prize, NSW Parliament House; The Black Swan Portrait Prize, WA.
- 2006 – “Time Out”, Aquarelle Gallery, Crows Nest, Sydney.
- 1995 – “Life Studies”, Eaglehawk Gallery, York St, Sydney
- 1992 – “Tree Pieces”, The Wall Gallery, Paddington, Sydney.
- 1991 – “Conversation Among The Gods”, Opera Walk, The Rocks, Sydney.
- The Prince of Wales Hospital
- Nelson Meers Collection
- Kincoppal Rose Bay Library
- Westmead Childrens Hospital
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- PhD, College of Fine Arts, School of Art Education, UNSW, 2012
- Master of Art & Design Education, College of Fine Arts, UNSW, 2002
- Diploma of Painting, Julian Ashton Art School. 1990
- Bachelor of Arts, Sydney University, 1973
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Training – 2000
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management – 1999