Kathrin Longhurst grew up in Communist East Germany, moving to Sweden in 1987 and then travelling extensively throughout Europe, Asia and America. She settled in Australia in 2000 where her artistic career has flourished.
A classically trained figurative painter, Longhurst began taking life drawing classes at the age of 14 and continues to develop her knowledge of the human form. Her work is strongly influenced by her childhood in the GDR, referencing the propaganda posters depicting working-class women. Yet Longhurst subverts the ideological principles of these posters by infusing the fictional women she paints with a glamour and sexiness she so longed to see as a child.
Longhurst has been a finalist in numerous awards including the 2012 Sulman Prize, the Portia Geach Award, the Shirley Hannan National Portrait Prize, the Mosman Art Prize and the WA Black Swan Prize. Her work has been widely collected in Australia and internationally.
• 2014 November, Solo Show “Heros and Villains”, Art Equity, Sydney, NSW
• 2013 August, Solo Show “Women of the Revolution”, Catherine Asquith Gallery, Melbourne, VIC
• 2013 May, Solo Show “Children of the Revolution”, Art Equity, Sydney, NSW
• 2012 July, Solo Show “Dear Comrade…”, Catherine Asquith Gallery, Melbourne, VIC
• 2010 May, “Divine Femme”, Astras Galleries, Gold Coast, QLD
• 2007 April, “Intimately”, Solo Show, SOHO Galleries, Sydney
• 2006 March, “La Belle Vie” Solo Show, SOHO Gallery, Sydney
• 2004 “Divas” Solo Show, Salmon Galleries, Sydney.
• 2013 October, Finalist, Portia Geach Memorial Award, Sydney, NSW
• 2012 September, Finalist, Portia Geach Memorial Award, Sydney, NSW
• 2012 July, Finalist, Mosman Art Prize, Sydney, NSW
• 2012 April, Finalist, Sir John Sulman Prize, Sydney, NSW
• 2011 September, Finalist Portia Geach Memorial Award , Sydney, NSW
• 2009 October, “Unsung Heroes”, Portrait Artists Australia, Parliament House Canberra
• 2009 September, Finalist Black Swan Portrait Prize, Perth, WA
• 2009 August, Finalist Mosman Art Prize, Sydney, NSW
• 2008 September, Finalist Black Swan Portrait Prize, Perth, WA
• 2008 June, Finalist Shirley Hannan National Portrait Award, Bega Regional Gallery, Bega
• 2008 April, “Miniatures”, David Hart Galleries, SunshineCoast, QLD
• 2008 January, “Dreams from Down Under” Solo Show, Dabbert Gallery, Sarasota, Florida
• 2007 October, “ArtSydney07”, Fox Studios, Sydney
• 2006 November, “Contemporary Figures”, Group Show, Dabbert Gallery, Florida
• 2006 August, “Blooms of Summer”, Group Show, Dabbert Gallery, Florida
• 2004 Affordable Art Show Sydney
• 2004 April Affordable Art Show Melbourne
• 2003 August Finalist Willoughby Arts Prize, Chatswood , Sydney
• 2003 August Affordable Art Show Sydney